Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A review of Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl

If this wasn't my first official review then all I would have said about this movie would be, "Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl can best be summed up with the following picture."



However, it would be a disservice to the movie if I didn't talk more about it. First, I'll start off by saying that although I haven't seen any of the previous movies that Yoshihiro Nishimura has directed I am familiar with them.

Just like his previous films this movie is described as a gore film but its tough for me to place it in that category. The reason is because there aren't that many gory scenes in the movie and the ones that are there... well the amount of blood that is shown takes it from gory to slightly comedic.



The movie takes place in your typical Tokyo High School. The movie starts off on Valentines Day, when according to tradition Japenese women give men they like chocolate( hear that American women?). You meet the main characters in class as the chocolates are being confiscated by a teacher. First you're introduced to Keiko who seems to be the leader of the schools Lolita club and daughter of the schools Vice Principal/ Science Teacher/ Mad Scientist. You are then introduced Mizushima who is Keiko's reluctant boyfriend. As well as a few others like the leader of the schools ganjuro club and the leader of the schools wrist cutting club. After class we finally meet the hero of the movie, Monami the vampire girl. She reveals to Mizushima that she likes him and gives him a chocolate that also begins his transformation into becoming a vampire.

The movie continues to pick up pace when Mizushima ends up visiting the school nurse and after a quick fight a drop of Monami's blood is spilled on the floor. When the nurse tries to clean it up, she finds out the blood seems to have a life of its own. She finally manages to contain the drop and take it to the schools Vice Principal who as it turns out is the successor of Victor Frankenstein and has been trying to figure out how to bring the dead back to life. In order to further his research he has been kidnapping students and killing them with the help of the schools nurse.



As it turns out the Monami's blood holds the key to making his experiments a success. After an accident Keiko ends up dead and her father uses this as an excuse to cut up her body and bring her back from the dead. This makes the fight between Vampire Girl and Frankenstein Girl for Mizushima's heart much more interesting.



Although there isn't too much to the plot of the movie I didn't want to go further into it because I didn't want to give all of it away. The movie ends up being pretty good and I definitely suggest you guys check it out. Just remember there are some gory scenes. It ends up being more of a satire movie than anything else. Also, I should mention that I really enjoyed the soundtrack to the movie.

If you do end up checking out the movie because of my review let me know what you think about it. I've gotten reports that the comment section isn't working correctly. So remember you can always e-mail me at aviciouskoala@gmail.com or follow me on twitter 'aviciouskoala'.

No comments:

Post a Comment